Following are advantages and disadvantages of wood heating system.
1.Wood is a natural resource that is renewable.
2.Smoke discharged by burning wood is relatively less toxic for the environment.
3.Wood is cheaper than any other fuel.
4.A Wide range of wood burning systems are available.
1. It can be costly and difficult to obtain wood.
2. Storage of wood is a problem as wood is bulky.
3. Firewood should be seasoned from 3 to 6 months.
4. Fires must be carefully tended, prepared and clean.
5. Inappropriately tended fires can be unsafe.
6. There are chances of leakage in homes.
7. It is difficult to seal fireplaces for air infiltration and for water leakage from outside.
8. You must inspect fireplace regularly for preventing tar and soot build up.
When examining energy efficiency, it is important to know the type of wood burned. Hardwoods burn slower and longer whilst softwoods burn very quickly. When discussing fuel deficiency not only type but also the time for which wood is seasoned is also important. Seasoning wood means the time wood is allowed to be dried before using. Fuel value of wood is reduced with moisture. For heating a home wood dried for 3 to 6 months is needed. You should not burn treated wood.
Wood is a cheap and natural resource that is least harmful for human health and environment.